Blog of Matt Gerchow

Welcome to my personal and business blog. Currently I am traveling the world and living The Four Hour Workweek. Live Anywhere, Escape 9-5 and Join the New Rich. The tips and techniques here are for those of you that are hungry just like I was before I left the United States for a full-time travel schedule. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Real Estate Investing with use of a Majic Jack telephone

Often times I will get asked how I run my cell phone overseas. Fact is, I'm not. I turn the dang thing off when I get on the airplane and then maybe turn it on to play solitaire or to listen to an Audio book when I'm having trouble getting to sleep.

Plugged into the side of my computer or stealthily hidden away in my briefcase is a little device called the magic jack.

People call it, then they leave a message and it is sent on over to my email.

Here's a trick. You want people to call you in South America on your cell phone but you not have to pay anything but local rates...

Forward your cell to your magic jack and then you can answer on a regular landline down there. If you're ambitious, there are some tricks you can do with forwarding a US ip number (magic jack) to a colombia based IP number so you can pay local charges for cell phones even out of the country. I'll leave that one to you...haven't gotten that far with it yet.

Anyway, the best use I have for this service is using the number for business communication. I route all of the calls to a special gmail account magicj111(at)gmail.com

If you are a fan of Tim Ferris' check email once a week lifestyle then you can catch up on those messages whenever you decide to check that email.

All calls to Canada, Mexico and the United States are free. Cost of all this...drum roll please...$20 Anually!!!! First year is $40 cus you have to buy the little box...after that it's cheap, cheaper if you are willing to pay for more than one year at a time.

During the day I usually shut my phone off so I can get all of my work done.

For instance, today I knew I had to sign up for a directory submission service so people could find my website. Problem is, I had kids (nephews) all around.

The solution was I had to get out of the house to a Starbucks so I could focus in on my work. Starbucks had internet issues so I went over the freeway to Tully's Coffee and started working there. Phone rang a few minutes after I had settled in and it turns out someone had thrown up all over my brothers couch sometime during the night. HUGE interruption.

After dealing with that issue, I turned my phone off for the remainder of the day and was able to finish very efficiently.

I try to limit cell phone calls to just one or two per day. In the past I used to make a ton of calls to pretty much anyone who'd listen. Now I aim to talk to as few people as possible throughout the day.


couple of resources to check out: www.magicjack.com ($20 annual VOIP phone)
www.gmail.com (for free email setup)
www.skype.com (skype to skype calls are free)

That's it for now...

Good luck out there.

From Seattle Washington

Matt Gerchow
www.real-estate-investing.com
Matt

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home